Baldwin Public Library starts Phase 3 of renovation
Baldwin’s Expansion & Renovation: Front entrance, Circulation Desk & Lobby
Baldwin Public Library’s third and final phase of renovations started July 5. The project will last approximately 9 to 10 months and is expected to be completed in April 2024. This project is paid for by the library's existing voter-approved millage and donations to the library’s trust.
Based on public input, Baldwin's third and final phase of improvements will bring the following benefits to our users:
- Expansion of the Front Entrance by 2,000 square feet
- Accessible, street-level entrance with interior ramp and passenger elevator
- Renovation of 3,000 square feet of interior space
- Energy-efficient, glare-reducing glass from floor to ceiling
- New furniture, flooring, and lighting
- New café and collaboration space with vending machines
- Dedicated sale area for the Friends of the Baldwin Public Library
- Addition of four new enclosed study rooms
- Outdoor terrace and gardens to visually connect with Shain Park
Library materials will continue to be available and library programming will continue to be offered for the duration of the project. Curbside pickup will be available on Chester Street at the library’s loading dock. Please ask any staff member for help locating materials or meeting rooms.
A temporary front entrance with an accessible ramp is available on Martin Street through the Children’s Garden & Terrace. The curbside materials return drop box is available on Martin Street. Barricades have been set up along Merrill and Bates Street and no parking is available on the sides of the street closest to the library
The interior renovation is scheduled to be complete by the end of October. Baldwin’s former circulation area will be renovated to add a dedicated Friends of the Baldwin Public Library sale area, four new study rooms to fit 2 people each, and an expanded staff office area.
Read more about the project at www.baldwinlib.org/renovation