New Homes/Exterior Renovations
Any resident considering outside improvements to their home needs to prepare plans and follow the procedure to receive Village approval. Such plans are submitted to the Design Review Board who is responsible for the approval of residential additions, renovations and new construction. It is strongly recommended that a resident check with the Village office early in the design process to avoid any unexpected delays in the approval process.
Design Review Board
The Design Review Board (DRB) was created to preserve, protect and enhance the ecologically and historically unique environment and aesthetic charm of the village. Prior to any new construction or most exterior renovations, property owners are required by ordinance to obtain approval from the DRB (Chapter 153 of the village Code Book).
DRB meetings are held the first Monday of every month beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Here's the process for exterior renovations BEFORE CONSTUCTION BEGINS:
1. Complete and submit a DRB application form to the village office, along with the following items:
- Seven copies of the site plan that includes structure location, property lines and setback distances.
- Seven copies of design plans (11x17), and thee copies of design plans (24x36).
- List of building materials that includes siding and roof colors. Samples are encouraged.
- Fee of $100 payable by cash or check (contact Office for fee schedule for major renovations).
2. The project will be included on the agenda for the next available DRB meeting. By law, the village is required to mail notices of DRB applications to all property owners within 300 feet of the subject property.
3. The DRB will discuss the application at the meeting. The applicant, or a knowledgeable representative, must be present.
4. If the application is approved, stamped plans can be picked up at the village office the next day. If the application is tabled denied, reasons will be provided at the DRB meeting and applicants may submit amended plans.
For new construction, applicants should call to set up a meeting with village staff to review submission guidelines and materials.